Worried about your mortgage?
- Dane Couty Foreclosure Prevention Taskforce – Summary of Programs and Resources
- GreenPath Debt Solutions (a HUD-certified counseling agency; 888-776-6735 request an appointment in the Madison/Monona office)
- Know Your Options (Fannie Mae)
- Financial Education Center (UW Extension)
- Consumer Law Clinic (UW Law School)
- Making Home Affordable (Federal loan modification program)
- Tips for Avoiding Foreclosure (HUD.gov)
- Get the Help You Need to Avoid Foreclosure (Wisconsin Bankers Association brochure)
- Wisconsin Foreclosure Resource Center (Wisconsin Realtors Association website)
- Beware of Mortgage Rescue Scams (loanscamalert.org)
Unsure how different options might impact you?
- Will foreclosure ruin your credit score? (FICO)
- How does a loan modification affect your credit score? (FICO)
- How does a short sale affect your credit score? (FICO)
- How does a bankrupcy affect your credit score? (FICO)
- Are there income tax consequences to foreclosure? What about a short sale or a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure? (IRS)
- News article: Some tax issues to consider on mortgage write-downs (Washington Post)
- News article: How foreclosure impacts your credit score (CNNmoney.com)
Have you been served with a foreclosure lawsuit?
- Foreclosure Timeline (English) (Spanish)
- Dane County Foreclosure Mediation Program
- Responding to a Foreclosure Lawsuit in Dane County
- Do-It-Yourself (pro se) Answer Form
- Affidavit of Mailing
- Lawyer Referral Service (State Bar of Wisconsin)
- Wisconsin Legal Action
Are you a tenant?
- Foreclosure Assistance for Rental Units
- Tenant Resource Center
- List of Affordable Rental Housing Providers in Dane County
Need other assistance?
- ACCESS: determine your eligibility for a variety of benefits (Wisconsin.gov)
- Family Resource List – phone numbers for local resources
- StopFraud.gov – Federal Financial Fraud Prevention Task Force
- United Way 2-1-1
- Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program